January 2, 2013

Jam That Crayon Up Your Nose

I'm feeling 2013 already. After I shook off my two-day hangover from this past weekend, I woke up with a resolve to make this year the best yet. Some might say that new year's resolutions are a pointless reach kickstarted by a guilt gut, but I think they are a good idea. Why not have a conversation with yourself to make goals for the new year? It's a good starting point to start a new project, or lifestyle change. I'm all for it.

This year I have decided to adopt a few resolutions, and drop some bad ideas. I will be making a few changes here on Miss Austin. Don't worry fans (or, fan) I'm not going anywhere, I have just decided to shift focus a bit. Think of it like I am on stage and I am inviting all my friends up to sing a song with me. Now, I can't sing for shit, but together we will make a anthem of sorts, a bithin' Austin Anthem. This is the new direction of Miss Austin.

I have decided to keep drinking because that brings me a lot of pleasure.

I will actively support more local businesses.

Most of all, I have decided to put more of my art out there. I am not going to hold back, there will be no filter, and I won't be afraid to do so. I have a tendency to second guess my concepts and processes, like many of us do, but I will not let fear dictate my decisions.

While I was contemplating the new year I was reminded of a memory from my youth. As a young loud mouth, I was always knew there was a voice inside me. At the time, I didn't know what it was, I just felt like a weird little kid. Now, I know it to be my creative voice. It made me nervous, anxious, and excited. Well, whenever I felt this urge to express myself, I would jam crayons up my nose. Those little things fit perfectly in my nostril, the circumference was spot-on. This helped me focus, and it somehow comforted my uneasy feeling. It was almost inspiring. I wanted to draw, write, paint, whatever, I just felt this urge to create. I believe this nervous tic, or comforting habit of drawing with crayons up my nose somehow helped me concentrate and hone my ideas to something that made sense. Now, as an adult, I believe this to still make sense. If jamming a crayon up your nose gives you the comfort and confidence to turn those ideas into something bigger, then hit up the store for a 120 count box. Find your inspiration and listen to your gut, she is always right.

I have been testing this out again, with successful results, at least in my mind. Sure, I have kinks to iron out, but the wheels are greased and there is a dickton of wax surrounding the inner wall of my nose. Blowing my nose is a de Kooning in itself. So, my new year's resolution is just that. Be inspired, listen to your gut, and put it out there. Fear is an asshole, don't let assholes tell you what to do. I will be putting more of my art out in 2013, and I hope to see you all there with crayons in your nose, or at least, residual wax around the outer rim.

Jodie Ramone/Miss Austin


No comments:

Post a Comment