April 2, 2012

Feed Me!



I love this time of year. If you haven't been out to experience Austin Restaurant Week, go! There are only a few more days left. If you aren't familiar, select restaurants throughout Austin participate with a select prix fixe menu prepared specifically for the event. It's an affordable, 3-4 courses, $11 or $16 lunch; $26 or $36 dinner. This is a great opportunity to try those restaurants you've been dying to try, but just haven't made it, or are feeling a bit adventurous with food. Get it. Here are a few of my picks:

LUNCH:
Trace (200 Lavaca St. in the W Hotel) - Mini lamb burgers!
Roll On Sushi Diner (5350 Burnet Rd.) - $11 sushi lunch, 2 apps and a sushi roll.
If you're in the downtown area, I'd hit up 1886 Cafe & Bakery in the Driskill Hotel to get the Hangover Burger. That sounds like a delicious heart attack.

DINNER:
Paggi House (200 Lee Barton Dr.) - This is a must. Braised pork belly with an apple-cider gastrique, fava bean risotto, or tea brined duck breast with a foie gras jus? YES.
Olivia got me at homemade rocky road ice cream.
Foreign & Domestic's papperdelle with fresh truffle butter sounds like love at first sight.
Haddington's has a cauliflower steak that looks chomp-worthy.
Obviously, Uchi and Uchiko will have an amazing menu, your problem will be getting a table. Although, if you don't mind eating like an AARP member, you can probably get a dinner reservation at 5:00 pm.




Move over because I'm elbowing my way to the front of the line. Every line. At the end of the month, it's going down at Auditorium Shores. Tickets are a bit pricier, but worth all the activities, tastings, and demos. I went to the Foxwoods Food and Wine Festival in Connecticut and it was so much fun. Since our little city is on the culinary map now with Paul Qui winning Top Chef, I would expect tons of special guests at this event.

http://www.austinfoodandwinefestival.com/



We all know that Uchiko is THE place right now. Yes, everything is amazing, but one thing I have yet to try is the Uchiko Food + Wine Project. The first Sunday of every month, they pair seven courses with wine for $75. What's great is this menu includes specialty items not seen on their regular dinner menu. Dinner is at 7:00 pm, and if you arrive by 6:45 you receive a complimentary beverage. For the quality and service, this seems like bargain basement prices to me, I love it. Dudes, if you care to impress a lady, this is it. Dome light worthy.


All of this delicious food talk just made my lunch salad look really pathetic. Send me feedback on your food excursions, I live for that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment