February 3, 2012

End of an Exclamation Era


I'm about to stab someone. I used to be a fan of the exclamation point, I used to use her liberally. My key stroke to Shift-1 used to come so naturally. We had a nice romance, she and I. Some statements need an exclamation point. "Thank Jebus it's Friday!" or "Aye, Chingao, my birth control is expensive!" See? Appropriate.

You know who's killing the exclamation point? Those fanatic, Wednesday/Saturday church goin' Christians. That's right, they're making my head want to explode with their punctuation. I'm not talking about those Sunday goin' Christians who are period using grammarists. No, I like them, they don't bother me. I'm referring to the people who are judging every fucking thing everyone does with their !!!!. I had to take a breather from Facebook today with all the exclamation points being tossed around because of the Planned Parenthood topic. Some of those people are gonna need to get out a white Crayola Crayon to replace the 1 that was rubbed off today. Cool it, people. Show that period, question mark, and semi-colon some love. Stop hatin'.

I'm retiring the exclamation point for now, I can't stand her. I'll bring her back come SXSW because I have some RAD shit in the works. (It pains me to have to use a period after that sentence).

Happy Friday. (Again, painful).

1 comment:

  1. Dammit! Now you've made me self conscious about my gratuitous use of the exclamation point. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete