June 16, 2011

Ode to Dad's

Yay for Father's Day!

Thankfully, I don't have daddy issues. I have two great men in my life whom I adore. One being my father, chingao, and the other my older brother (a father of three) who will stab anyone who fucks with me. What I love most about good men like these two is that they take care of the ladies in their life and they aren't lazy. Lazy dudes are the worst. It never fails, whenever I go home to San Antonio my brother ends up washing my car, checking the air pressure and oil while my dad gives me the ever-so-present pep talk about "persistence, hard work, and loyalty, chingao." I love them.

These two clips are for them:


When I was younger, I was dying for my brother to be my best friend. I probably annoyed the shit out of him because I was always in his face (he's five years older than I). This song reminds me of us back then because he introduced me to some great music. I just remember he and I carving Quiet Riot in his desk while listening to "Bang your Head" and my mom losing her shit. 



If you were to mention Freddy Fender around my dad, he will grab your arm and say "C'mon, get down, chingao" and start flapping his elbows dance floor or not. And, you better get down with him too, or there will be hell to pay. I have old memories of my dad at events drinking Chivas on the rocks and smoking Pall Mall's with his buddies, then getting down with my mom on the dance floor while my peanut head just stared at them adoringly. Chingao.

Here's to great men. Hug the great men in your life this weekend. I'm going to play the Texas Tornados on Sunday for my dad just so we can get down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment